Classroom Exam Scanning & Scoring
The UPTC provides classroom exam scoring analyses of multiple choice exams given in University of Pittsburgh courses. Pitt uses the Apperson DataLink Scanning System for exam processing and results are delivered within 24 hours of drop-off (excluding weekends). Please watch the following tutorial on the process for dropping off exams at the Ground Floor, G33 Cathedral of Learning.
* To drop off exams for scoring, you must have the following:
- Completed Scanning Request Form Cover Sheet
- Completed Key on top of all student answer sheets.
- Ability/knowledge to complete a short electronic form with exam information upon arrival, which gives the exam a Job #, electronic timestamp, and alerts staff that the exam has been dropped off.
- This service is not to be used for departmental teaching evaluations. The Office of Measurement and Evaluation of Teaching (OMET) is in place to assist with teaching evaluations.
- Remind students to bubble in their PeopleSoft numbers and write their names on their answer sheets. *Scores will not be paired with student names if they do not bubble in their PeopleSoft number.*
- A separate, new key must be provided with each scanning request unless a key has been previously saved. In this case, you must provide the name and date of the key to be used.
- *All exams will be kept on site for one month, then they will be stored off-site for one year.* After one year, the exams are destroyed in accordance with the University’s General Records Retention Schedule.
- If you feel there are discrepancies on the results, you are welcome to visit our office to review the sheets. Once the exams are moved off site, we’ll request that they be returned and will contact you when they’re available for review.
- Tests can be rescored without rescanning the student answer sheets. *Simply reply to the results email with the subject reading “rescore”.* Turn-around is based on the time the e-mail rescore request is received by the UPTC staff.
- Each scan produces summary statistics and item analysis data.
- Faculty, staff, and students involved in survey research can also utilize the answer sheets and optical scanning services.
- *The UPTC will not return exams via mail or courier service.*
Our scanning service will produce the most accurate reporting possible but we highly encourage faculty to review the results carefully, just to ensure that no errors occurred. It is ultimately the responsibility of the instructor to check for accuracy on any report issued by UPTC before submitting student grades. If you have questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-624-6146
The FAQs below provide additional details about the scanning and scoring service.
|Form B2114 (Blue)||Form B2115 (Gold)||Form B2122 (Red)|
|150 items||75 items||100 items|
|5 responses per item||10 responses per item||5 responses per item|
|5-point scale items||10-point scale items||5-point scale items|
|Merged Item Analysis||Merged Item Analysis||Verify Option|
|Rescore possible||Rescore possible||Rescore possible|
Sample: Bubble Sheets
- The student’s name
- The 7-digit PeopleSoft ID number (it’s VERY important that this section is filled out completely and correctly).
- Dark and complete marks in the answer fields, clearly indicating the selected response.
- Changed answered must be erased completely.
- No stray marks anywhere on the form.
Sample: Answer Key Before you drop off your exams at the UPTC, please make sure:
- That all exams are completed with a #2 pencil.
- Sheets in each group are all the same color form.
- None of the bubble forms have stray marks on the left side or top, where the timing marks are (this will effect scoring).
- Erasures must be as complete and clean as possible.
- All exams are facing the same direction and are neatly stacked.
- You must enter an accurate number of answer sheets in each job on the Scanning Request Form. This number is compared to the Excel results in order to verify the number of sheets scanned. There are instances when sheets stick together and are skipped. This check allows UPTC to verify the correct number of sheets scanned. Do not estimate this number.
- If your scan job requires an answer key, please darken in the answer key on top of the form with a #2 pencil.
- Place the key on top of the students’ answer sheets.
- If the Key has been saved by UPTC, provide the Key Name and date on the Scanning Request Form.
- Exams must be scan ready when being dropped off at the UPTC.
- If scanning multiple groups, make sure to separate the groups and to have a key and request form for each group.
- Do NOT include a hard copy of the actual paper test.
- If the Verify bubble is filled in, the correct answer will appear next to any incorrect answer.
- If the Verify bubble is left blank, a red dash will appear next to any incorrect answer.
Important Note: The Verify option is NOT available on the Blue or Gold form.
- will not adjust, delete, or modify in any way the information on an instructor or student answer key.
- are not permitted for any reason to place marks (i.e. add, change, or erase) on scanner forms.
- secure all examinations in a locked area of the UPTC for 28 days.
- will only give exams to the faculty of record or a representative of the faculty of record for any course. The scanning job is required at the time of pick up. Please notify the UPTC in advance if you are sending a representative to pick up exams.
- Test Results: PDF form that provides an individual report of each student’s response for each item with the corresponding correct answer, the total possible points, the student’s score and percentage correct, the class average, and the highest and lowest scores.
- Item Analysis: PDF form that provides frequency counts and percentages for each response for all test items, point by serial correlation (index of item discrimination), and frequency count and percentage correct for each test item along with percentage incorrect. Click Item Analysis Definitions for a full list of terms . This report is included in the excel Full Report on a separate tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet.
- Excel Spreadsheet: You will also receive the an Excel spreadsheet that contains the following reports:
- Results Grid (Raw Data)
- Class Roster
- Item Analysis
- Detailed Item Analysis
If you have questions about the results or would like to review the originals, feel free to visit the UPTC during normal business hours.